Located in Southeast Asia, Singapore is a vibrant city-state that’s home to a mix of Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Arab, and English cultures creating a unique place that’s filled with great food, beautiful places to see, luxurious accommodations, and a beautiful green scenery blended in a futuristic skyline. If you’ve never been to Singapore, I hope this Ultimate Guide to visit Singapore for the First Time helps you plan a dream vacation and create the best memories in one of the most amazing places in the world.
A few things to know before going to Singapore:
- The official languages are Mandarin, Malay, and Tamil, but most locals speak great English.
- The currency is the Singaporean Dollar (SGD). As of today 1 SGD = 0.63 Euros
- Credit Cards are widely accepted, however, I suggest carrying cash for Food Stalls and small purchases.
- The weather is mostly hot and super humid, with temperatures ranging between 25 and 35 degrees Celsius.
- You can’t buy chewing gum in Singapore, it’s illegal to sell it.
- Keep in mind that Singapore is a luxury destination and prices reflect it. Alcoholic drinks can be expensive.
Where to go and what to see
Gardens by the Bay
This is absolutely a must see when in Singapore, be sure to pay the extra fee to get inside the Flower Dome, and the Cloud Forest.
Be sure to visit the famous Buddha’s Tooth Relic Temple and wander around the streets to get some unique souvenirs.
This cool neighborhood is full of shops, cafés, and some of the best arab and lebanese restaurants in the city. Be sure to visit the Sultan Mosque (Masjid Sultan), and walk around Arab street, Haji and Bali Lanes, and Muscat Street.
Clark Quay and Robertson Quay
Best places for having dinner and a night out.
Great food and lots of photo opportunities, just be sure to avoid the area on Sundays.
Plan spending, at least, a couple of hours here, it’s one of the best Airports in the World.
Where to eat and what to order
Jumbo Seafood, order their Chili Crab. I still have dreams about this dish.
Tiong Barhú Market, go to the Ali Corner Food Stall and order the Nasi Ayan Penyet.
Tiong Barhu Bakery, you have to try the Almond Croissant.
Newton Food Centre, go to one of the most famous Michelin Star Stalls: Alliance Seafood and order their BBQ Stingray.
Ippudo, order anything on the menu. This is one of my top Favorite Restaurants ever! It’s just perfection in every dish.
Things you should try once.
I personally didn’t like them but it’s the right tourist thing to do.
Singapore Sling Drink
Durian (be aware of the smell)
Where to do some shopping
Bugis Market for some Personalized Gifts
The Editors Market for the best Dresses
La Senza for Lingerie and Pj’s
Risis for Unique Jewerly and Gifts
Where to Stay
Marina Bay Sands Hotel
Best luxurius experience, totally worth it!
The Warehouse Hotel
Amazing Design, and one of the best restaurants in town.
M Social Singapore Hotel
If you’re on a budget, rooms are super clean and location is great.
A few extra Tips to make your first time visit to Singapore easier
- Stay at least one night at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and go to the infinity pool at night, best views of the city!
- Download Grab App, it’s like uber in Singapore and way cheaper than regular taxis.
- Buy a cellphone chip on the Klook app and just pick it up at the airport when you arrive.
I hope you enjoy your first visit to Singapore!